Tuesday, May 5, 2020

Wall-to-Wall Virus

I’m getting sick of it. Every time I glance at my TV I see the word “Coronavirus.” Or “Covid 19.” Or just “virus.” It’s as if there were no other news. The news media—including Fox News-- is obsessing on it, even moreso than usual. And they emphasize the negative things about the virus, whipping up panic, especially among “old folks” like me. I haven’t been out of my house for months. Not because of the virus, but because I’m in my 80s and can barely walk two feet without puffing like a locomotive steaming uphill. But they still have me worried about getting the virus because I’m in the wrong age bracket and have at least one underlying medical problem. They tell me daily how many people have died of the virus, but not much about the number of people (especially those in my age bracket) who have survived. There’s another pandemic out there, and it’s been there for decades with no virus found to deal with it, but they rarely talk about it. It’s called “HIV.” I know they figure people need to know what’s happening with the virus, but they don’t need to be “wall-to-wall virus,” pounding the danger into our heads every day without at least telling us about the good things. (Just common sense)

No comments: