Monday, June 16, 2008

Obsessing on Tim Russert

The media loves to obsess. If there isn't something worth obsessing on, they'll create it. They didn't have to create something to obsess over this week. Tim Russert provided it. Russert, one of the top newsmen in the nation (and the world), collapsed and died in his office. I didn't like much of his politics. He was a liberal, and his positions were liberal. But I liked him as a person and he was at the top of his profession. When my time comes, I hope it happens just the way it happened to Tim: quick, and a complete surprise to everyone, especially me. Tim was only 58, which is way too young to die. His father (whom Tim revered greatly) still lives, and is in his eighties. You shouldn't outlive your children. I've outlived two of mine. Nobody (except the family) obsessed over their deaths, and I'm glad of that. I'm sure they would be, too. Rest easy, Tim. (Politico)

No comments: