Tuesday, May 31, 2011

A Month's Vacation Yearly

I don't understand the French. This guy thinks everybody ought to get a month’s PAID time off every year, so they can take a long, “unscheduled” vacation. This is considered a “right” in France, which long ago mandated a 36 hour work week, and now they wonder why they’re in financial trouble. I shudder to think how much the national productivity went down the drain when this mandate came into being. Think about it; 4 hours lost productivity from every citizen immediately every day, and an entire MONTH lost from each citizen once a year. And that’s not all—those who work more than 36 hours a week anyway, accrue more than a month’s vacation a year; some up to 11 weeks. He thinks (and I agree) “vacations” should be completely UNSCHEDULED, which is something my own sister would not understand. Her vacations are TIGHTLY scheduled. One time she came to Denver and scheduled only an hour for me. The next time, after hearing me grumble about that hour, she scheduled a whole afternoon for me. Oh, well. I love her, so I’ll take whatever time she’ll give me. (CNN Travel)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! That is very controlling and self-centered of her. I'm sorry you have to deal with that.

Ray Thomas said...

I don't think so. It's just the way she is. Notice she heard my complaints and changed things. However she is, though, I love her and will "put up with it." My idea of a vacation is to be COMPLETELY unscheduled and just drive around in the mountains. No freeways, no reservations anywhere, and if anybody in the car wants to stop and see something, we do it. We've never had to sleep in the car, but we came close one time. But that's another story.