Thursday, June 30, 2011

Am I A Conservative?

Probably not, because conservatism contains a few things to which I do not subscribe, particularly their reliance on biblical expressions to make their points, and their wish to eliminate such things as gay sex and gay marriage, among other things. I do not believe in interfering in what other people do in the privacy of their bedrooms (government should stay OUT of the bedroom). Neither do I believe they should be stopped from making contracts similar to a marriage contract; contracts that give their partners the same rights and privileges as married couples. But do I wish to allow them to use the word “marriage?” . . . No. Marriage has always been, and will continue to be, a contract between a man and a woman. They have been offered this, but have consistently refused all offers that did not include the use of the word “marriage.”

Personally, if I were gay, I wouldn’t want to advertise it to the world by "getting married" to a member of my own sex. But this is not the most important thing in my life, as it seems to be with many liberals. There are other things I could go into, but I don’t have room here to list them. So I cannot claim to be a conservative, nor a Libertarian, for the same reason. What I DO call myself is a “rational individualist.” I may be the only such in the country and the world because that is a very small group. That means I make ALL my own decisions, and those who wish to make them for me can go to hell in a handbasket. I want the government OUT of my life; I want fewer taxes (they don’t have the right to take more than 50% of what I earn and waste it). That means I also want a smaller government with fewer powers. There are more things I want, but this will suffice here. (Just common sense)

No comments: