Thursday, April 24, 2014

This Used To Be Me

They did a video called, “Wall Dogs” to illustrate the dangers involved in creating those amazingly detailed and photographically real signs on walls many feet above the sidewalk. The “wall dogs’ illustrated don’t look like much, but they’re not only very brave, they're amazingly talented. I can’t do it any more, but I respect those who still do. Most of the sign painting field no longer exists, due to the emergence of sign making computers. People no longer hand paint window signs, trucks or automobiles or even show cards. It’s all done now by a computer, using people who have no idea how to really DESIGN a sign to lead the eye where it’s supposed to go. Today, you get perfect letters, but that’s about all. And the buyers wonder why signs no longer are as effective as they used to be—except for the ones on walls, which will always have to be hand-painted by the “wall dogs” until they invent something other than paint that will adhere to a wall. Then the “wall dogs” will go into the “mists of history” like all other sign painters, including me. (The Blaze)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow! You did that? That's amazing! I watched the whole video and wish they had shown more. You would really have to be organized to do that job, too. I can imagine how difficult it is to get a "straight" line on a bumpy surface. It's a shame it is a dying art form. Computers are great, but I'm a traditionalist and appreciate the traditional ways, ways that should be preserved. You have a good memory to look back on.

Ray Thomas said...

Anon: Thanks. did it for 45 years until it "retired" me because it wasn't there any more EXCEPT "wall dog" work, which I could no longer do, with my legs the way they were.